Filing System 101
Is your filing system more like a “piling” system? Do you have piles of paperwork surrounding you…on your desk, on top of file cabinets? If so, it’s time create a solid filing system for yourself. If you’re lacking a filing system, hanging file folders are a simple and easy way to store documents you need to refer to later. When creating a system, keep these tips in mind:
- First, sort through your paperwork and keep ONLY the things you will need to refer to again or need for tax purposes.
- Sort papers into categories that make sense to you.
- Create labels for your folders. Whatever you normally call the document should be the name you put on the label. I recommend using a label maker so the labels are clear and consistent.
- Position labels in the same location on all folders so your eyes can quickly and easily find what you need (I promise it works).
- Don’t create a “Misc.” file. If it’s not good enough to have a name, it isn’t good enough to have a file.
Don’t bother filing papers you can easily find somewhere else. According to a study by Leader-Post newspaper, 80% of what we file NEVER gets looked at again.